ABOUT THE POSITION:
A VGS Service Technician is a member of the Field Service team and works predominantly independently, or in teams of two, providing emergency response, traveling to customers' locations, performing routine maintenance, installation and troubleshooting of most residential natural gas appliances and heating systems. The Service Technician also completes meter installation, repairs and related compliance work. This position is required to hold, and maintain, appropriate certifications, licensures and operator qualifications, provide superior customer service and can navigate a smartphone, tablet and gas detector devices to complete their job duties on a daily basis with attention to detail.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION:
- Provides 24/7 emergency response to qualifying events, such as, but not limited to, gas leaks, fires, carbon monoxide. Ascertain status of suspected issue.
- Operate, calibrate and interpret gas detector equipment. Ensure proper maintenance is conducted for all tools, equipment and maintain a clean, presentable vehicle.
- Responsible for setting meters, turn-ons/turn-offs and compliance work, such as meter remediation, meter surveys, meter painting or changing out meters, when required.
- Performs appropriate troubleshooting and service work related to VGS rental programs, VGS service plans and most residential appliances, such as water heaters, space heaters, central heating equipment and conversion burners.
- Completes installation and testing of products, equipment and machinery as well as providing instructions to customers on the proper usage of a product. Also, complete installation of piping and converting equipment, such as water heaters, conversation burns, meters and any other options offered by VGS in the future.
- Complete daily customer visits, maintain general parts/equipment stock within the vehicle and obtains parts/equipment needed for specific customer visits.
- Performs routine inspection checks, cleaning of heating systems and ensuring inspection documentation is thoroughly completed.
- Sets, removes, seals and unseals gas meters, regulators, purges lines, checks meter indexes and gas outlets.
- Responsible for staying up to date with new product and service information offered by VGS.
- Repair, maintain, install, and trouble-shoot general problems concerning natural gas appliances.
- Relight residential and commercial customer gas service.
- Prepare all necessary paperwork, electronically with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Attend all required trainings, as provided by the Field Service Supervisor or the Field Service Manager, such as safety, compliance and monthly team meetings.
- Maintain appropriate natural gas certifications, a Plumbing S License and Electrical S License and obtain, and maintain, your Operational Qualifications, and any other industry, state or federal requirements as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS FOR THIS ROLE:
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle, holds an unrestricted, valid motor vehicle license and must maintain a satisfactory driving record.
- If not already obtained, candidate must pass and maintain Gas Certification, as required by the State of Vermont.
- Demonstrate a cooperative temperament and can properly execute work during required hours, which includes overtime and/or irregular hours and are required to be part of the on-call rotation, that can fluctuate based on seasonality.
- Exemplifies a pleasant, tactful manner with peers, customers and the public
- Holds one’s self to a neat, clean and orderly standard.
- Conducts job duties with integrity and honesty.
- Ability to respond to emergencies in a calm, professional manner.
- Ability to manipulate tools and lift/push/pull heavy objects. Also, maintain any required training for such tools.
- Must be comfortable using technology, such as tablets and smartphones as well as applicable software to complete job duties.
- Ability to problem solve and analyze operations of all gas devices, electrical and plumbing functions associated with gas devices.
- Capacity to think quickly and rationally amidst distractions is essential.
- Ability to think and act independently, handle potentially difficult situations and conflicts, as well as work calmly under high pressure situations, including emergencies.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Capable to communicate to a wide range of individuals from supervisors to co-workers to customers of various levels, as well as work within a team of 2 when necessary.
- Currently works within the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local Union #300
- These skills are normally acquired with a High School or Trade School graduate or equivalent.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK CONDITIONS:
- This position is Safety Sensitive and subject to appropriate drug and alcohol testing as prescribed by the Federal Register 49 CFR-Section 199.
- Must be able to sustain awkward positions of kneeling, lying, reaching overhead and squatting to perform duties.
- Must be able to pass required physical examination given by Company assigned physician, including color perception.
- Strength adequate for arduous labor as circumstances may require. Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions for extended periods. Must be able to lift and handle loads up to 100 lbs. May be required to apply push/pull forces up to 250 lbs. Frequently required to kneel, stand, squat, bend, lie, twist, climb, reach (above shoulders) and drive. May have to work on uneven ground and be exposed to dust, fumes, gases or orders. Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when required for specific job duties.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective and thought. Candidates across all markers of identify (age, race, gender, ability, communication styles, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
VGS is a leader in energy efficiency and innovation, offering a clean, safe, affordable choice for over 54,000 homes, businesses, and institutions in Franklin, Chittenden and Addison counties. The company plays an important role in Vermont’s clean energy future by displacing higher-emitting fuels, offering renewable natural gas service, and delivering award-winning energy efficiency programs. VGS is leading the country in the development of local renewable energy generation and has targeted a 30% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and full elimination by 2050. We take pride in our total benefits rewards program offered to our employees. Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage, competitive compensation and bonus potential, 401(k) with employer contributions, and ample paid time off.
||South Burlington, VT
||$24.9 to $38.28
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 1/28/2023